Thu, 23 July 2020
I feel like I can speak for most Mississippi State fans and say that when it comes to Mike Leach being named our head football coach earlier this year, we're all still pinching ourselves. And listen - Melanie has been just as excited as I have been. That is because Mike Leach is a genius, and he is a college football legend, and the SEC will be better with him in it. So needless to say, we are absolutely beside ourselves that he is our guest on this episode of the podcast.
How did this even happen? Well, it is all because of a Twitter wager, you understand. Dave Emerick, who is on the football staff at State, told us a few weeks ago (after I asked about the possibility of interviewing Coach Leach) that if we could get 1,000 likes on his tweet, he would get Coach Leach on the podcast. Well, our beloved podcast listeners more than came through, and about a week ago, Melanie and I got to talk to Coach Leach. The whole experience did not disappoint. In fact, it DELIGHTED us.
The first part of the episode is Melanie and me giving this whole situation some context, and our conversation with Coach Leach starts around 25:40. You'll be happy to know that Melanie was able to voice her grievance about Deshazor Everett's targeting call, and Coach Leach has a couple of bad call grievances himself. We also talk about Mississippi and his favorite game at Texas Tech and his favorite books so far this year. Among other things.
The best part? Coach Leach was all we expected and more: kind, smart, funny, gracious, and a real straight-shooter. We think you'll agree.
- Melanie predicted Coach Leach's hiring (go to 47:23 in the episode)
- Operation Odessa (not for the children, and a little racy at the beginning, but fascinating, from what we understand)
- Narcos (again, not for the children, but Melanie and P are fans)
- Magic Spoon (promo code BIGBOO for free shipping)
- Native (promo code BIGBOO for 20% off your first order)
- Best Fiends (download from the Apple App Store or Google Play)